Veronika Scott was a fashion student at the College for Creative Studies in Detroit when her teacher, Stephen Schock, challenged her class to create a product that filled a need, rather than satisfying or creating a fad. Veronika’s design was a coat for homeless people that could transform into a sleeping bag, since in her city, she says, “you are constantly faced with the homeless epidemic.”
Not only did her design win a International Design Excellence Award from the Industrial Designers Society of America, it’s become the core of Veronika’s nonprofit organization, The Empowerment Plan, which hires people from homeless shelters and transition homes to help her make the coats. Now, three years later, the 24-year-old social entrepreneur expects that her team of 15 seamstresses will produce over 6,000 coats in 2014 — all of which will be distributed free of charge to people living on the streets.
Veronika originally designed the coats seeking input from people at a homeless shelter. After receiving feedback from people who used the prototype over a Detroit winter, she refined the design to create her final version which, in addition to being a waterproof and windproof coat and sleeping bag, also transforms into an over-the-shoulder bag with storage in the arm sockets.
When she started out, Veronika states,
“Everybody told me that my business was going to fail — not because of who I was giving my product to but because of who I was hiring. They said that these homeless women will never make more than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich — you cannot rely on them for anything. And I know my ladies enjoy proving everybody wrong.”
And, their impact is growing — according to CNN, which recently honored Veronika as one of their 10 Visionary Women of 2014, “The Empowerment Plan expects to launch a ‘buy one, give one’ program that will make it sustainable beyond the donations and sponsorships that keep it running now. Hunters and backpackers who’ve asked to buy the coat will be able to do so, and the Empowerment Plan will still create coats for homeless people who need them.”
Veronika is also excited to show other clothing producers that local manufacturing is possible: “I think we’re going to show a lot of people: you think it’s outdated to do manufacturing in your neighborhood, but I think it’s something that we have to do in the future, where it’s sustainable, where you invest in people, where they’re not interchangeable parts.”
You can read more about Veronika’s organization on CNN, or watch a short video about her work here.
To learn more about The Empowerment Plan or how you can support their work, visit http://www.empowermentplan.org/
For a wonderful book about women’s great inventions throughout history, check out “Girls Think of Everything” for readers 8 to 13.
For those in the US who would like to support efforts to end homelessness and help the over 600,000 people who experience homelessness on any given night, visit the National Alliance to End Homelessness athttp://www.naeh.org/ or to find a local homeless shelter to support in your area, visit http://www.homelessshelterdirectory.org/
Important in so many ways.
This is amazing and wonderful.
do you ever just feel like
Omg all the time.
this man is a professor at my college
get out of me guitaa
He knows what he’s done. But he’s in too deep to back out now.
- Curl Your Hair
- Get A Six Pack In Minutes
- Get Perfect Skin
- Take The Perfect Profile Picture
- Avoid Talking To Creeps
- Put On Beautiful Blush
- Make Him Fall In Love
- Look Busy At Work
- Boost Your Self-Esteem
- Make Money In Vegas
- Flirt Via Text Message
- Perfect Smoky Eye Makeup
- Survive Your Late 20s
- Get Whiter Teeth
- Scientifically Bake The Perfect Pie
- College Life: 12 Facts to Know
- Student Survival Guide
- Things I Wish I Knew Before Going to College
- Best College Life Hacks
- Survival Tips for High School Seniors
- Top Universities To Get Rich
- Tips for Picking the Perfect College
- Never Order These Fast Food Items
- The Best 7-Minute Workout
- The Secrets to Never Getting Sick
- 15 Exercises for Flat Abs that Work
- Don’t Eat These if You Want to Lose Weight
- Brilliantly Easy Makeup Tips You Never Knew About
- Awesome Eyeliner Tricks
- Look At This Crazy Eye Makeup Right Now
- Must-Have Makeup Tips
- Make-up Inspiration from Paris Hilton
- Makeup hacks from Lauren Conrad’s The Beauty Department
- Must-Know Makeup Tips and Hacks
- How to Look Busy at Work
- 15 Hottest Work At Home Jobs
- How to Get Out of Work Like a Pro
- 12 Best-Paying Careers for Women
- How to Make Work Go By Faster!
- Unique, High Paying Jobs You Don’t Need a Degree For!
- How to Land a Job with Social Media
- 15 Life Hacks You Can Actually Use
- DIY Household Ideas to Make Life Easier
- Super-Easy DIY Beauty Tricks
- DIY Ideas For The Best Summer Ever
- DIY Beauty: 30 Things You Can Make at Home
- Simple and Cool DIY Projects
- Amazing DIY Nail Art Designs
- Fancy eyeshadow tutorials
- Stunning eye makeup tutorials
- Insanely good eye makeup art
- Choosing the right eyebrow color
- Awesome eyeliner tricks
- How to draw on the perfect eyebrows
- 30 makeup tips you need to know
- Huge collection of makeup tips
- Should you switch to organic makeup?
- Must-have makeup finds
- Graduation makeup ideas
- How to get the same beauty product cheaper
- How to get healthier and glowing skin
- Must-have spring beauty products
- Stylish yet simple hairstyle tutorials
- Fabulous nail art designs
- Make your own makeup remover wipes
- Remove nail polish in 5 minutes
- Amazing makeup transformations
- Woman makes herself into a Disney princess
- I hope you don’t wear your makeup like this
- How to re-invent your look with makeup
- Get perfect pouty lips
reblogging so i never lose this. ever
aka im a terrible person
Some Very British Problems (x)
this is how false information on tumblr works
like how much more obvious does this need to be made for people to get it?
this isnt even an exaggeration
like at all
On the contrary, my dear anonymous, I can be whatever you want me to be. ;)
Or even a lamp:
oh yes, especially a lamp.
WHY DO YOU LIVE IN MY ROOM
WHAT IS GOING ON
It would have been nice if you told me before you started living on my bookshelf.
There’s something the government isn’t telling us
what does this all mean?
I love tumblr